Personal Choice is a self-directed care program for those who want the choice and control over those who provide care to the recipient. Recipients, or their representative, choose who they wish to hire as caregivers. A budget is allotted based on the degree of care the recipient requires after assessments have been made upon approval into the program.
The Personal Choice Program is an alternative to traditional services offered to adults with disabilities and the elderly in Rhode Island. It is an opportunity for people with disabilities and the elderly to be empowered to take control over their own lives and the dollars available from the state to purchase services.
The mission of the Personal Choice Program is to assist each person to maintain their independence and determine for themselves what mix of services/supports work best for them. People involved in the Personal Choice Program receive publicly funded long-term care services/supports and have the option to manage those services for themselves at home and in the community.
The Personal Choice Program provides people with the following opportunities:
- Participant-directed, person-centered planning process.
- An individual budget to be used for needed services and supports in integrated community settings.
- Freedom to direct and control funds allocated for the individual budget.
- Choice in selecting qualified staff.
- Choice of additional supports brokerage in identifying, developing and negotiating customized services.
Overview of the Personal Choice Program
The Personal Choice Program is:
- A Long Term Care Service for people with disabilities over the age of (18) eighteen or elders aged (65) or older.
- For individuals who meet either a high or highest level of care.
- For individuals who want to either return home or remain at home.
- For individuals who want to purchase their own care and services from a budget based on their individual functional needs.
- For individuals who have the ability to self-direct care or who have a representative who is able to direct care for the participant.
- Provides assistance to the participant by a Service Advisor and a Fiscal Intermediary.
The goal of the Personal Choice Program is to provide a home and community based program where individuals who are eligible for Long Term Care services have the opportunity to exercise choice and control (i.e. hire, fire, supervise, manage) individuals who provide their personal care and to exercise choice and control over a specified amount of funds in a participant-directed budget. Participants choose a Service Advisement Agency to assist in making informed decisions that are consistent with their needs and that reflect their individual circumstances.
For further information on the Personal Choice Program please contact Caressa Cardona Moison at 401.229.9700.
For further information about overall Long Term Services and Supports please visit the EOHHS website.